Year 2 - additional tasks
Y2 Home Learning
Approximate Directed Daily Activity Time - 1 hour - 2 hours
Ideally, every day we would like children to do the following:
English work - about 30-35 mins
- Read to an adult or an older sibling for 10-15 minutes
- Spend around 20 minutes writing, practising their handwriting, spelling or grammar
Maths work - about 30-35mins
- Practice counting in 2s, 5s and 10s (forwards and backwards)
- Spend around 15-20 minutes completing a maths task
Helping your child with home learning - what to do:
Reading (10-15 minutes).
- Ask an adult or an older sibling to hear your child read their school reading book.
If you do not have a school reading book, you can use a book from home or an online book
- Encourage them to use ‘robot arms’ to sound out any unknown words and also discuss tricky words where we can’t use our sounds (words such as put, because, could etc)
- Please talk to them about what they have read, perhaps ask them questions such as; What does this word mean on this page? Can you think of another word that means the same? Which bit made you feel…….? How does the character feel on this page - why?
Maths (30 minutes)
- You could practising counting to 20 and back, starting at any number and also counting in 10s, 2’s and 5’s to 100. (Please be aware of adverts on the following links as they are on youtube.)
Count to 100: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TgLtF3PMOc
Counting in 2s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvTcpfSnOMQ
Counting in 5s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EemjeA2Djjw
Number bonds to 10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD9tjBUiXs0
Number bonds to 20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmLMU8BqyKw