From Wednesday 6th January, home learning will be available for your child via the school website.
Every Friday, we will post a weekly plan to outline the daily activities that we have set for your child over the following week. Daily lesson videos will be accessible on Purple Mash on the Year 1 blog so please ensure you know your child's login.
Tapestry will be our main method of keeping in touch with children and families so please ensure that you are able to access your child's Tapestry account. If you are experiencing any problems, or require login details for Purple Mash, Bug Club or Tapestry, please email: email@example.com
Please follow the home learning weekly plans below.
Y1 Home Learning
Approximate Directed Activity Time - 1 hour - 1.5 hours per day
Ideally, every day we would like children to do the following:
English work - about 30/35 mins
- Read to an adult or older sibling for 10 minutes
- Practice some spelling or phonic work with an adult for 10 minutes
- Spend around 10-15 minutes writing practising their writing
Maths work - about 25-30 mins
Topic work - about 30 mins
- Complete one of our themed activities (Science, RE, Art, etc.,)
Helping your child with home learning - what to do:
Reading (10 minutes).
- Please listen to your child read their school reading book or something similar. If you do not have a school reading book, you can use a picture book from home or an online book
- Listen out for them reading confidently, without having to sound each word out individually.
- Can they read with expression? Please spend a few minutes talking about the book, what happened in the book, what they think about it and why etc.,
Phonics and Spelling (10 minutes)
- You can complete one of the spelling and phonics mats below (there are 3 different levels for each mat so that you can choose the best for your child)
- Visit Phonics Play https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/, which is a great site to continue reading words and applying sounds. You can access many games for free.
- Please check Tapestry for the sounds we are learning in class.
Writing (10-15 minutes)
- ‘Super Sentences’. The children should write at least 1 super sentence a day. This can be about anything they like. When they are writing ask them to practice what they want to say in their head before they write.
- Use a capital letter and full stop
- Leave spaces between words
- Sound out words
For some children one really good sentence is enough, some will be able and keen to write more. Go with your child’s level of confidence and ability - this should be a fun activity. We have included some story setting pictures below that you can use to write about if you would like, but you can write about anything.
Maths (30 minutes)
- Log onto https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-1/ and go to the current week. Children can follow the learning on the video and write their answers on a piece of paper or whiteboard. There is time build into the video for responding to questions but you can pause if longer time is needed.
- You could also try practising counting to 20 and back, starting at any number and also counting in 10s, 2’s and 5’s.
- Activity Books (10-15 minutes) Encourage your child to spend 10-15 minutes per day working through the activities in the maths practice book (attachment below).
Topic Learning (30 minutes) Choose one per day:
Science - Outdoor learning activities, if you have a garden only and do one of the following: (if you do not have a garden, there is an alternative activity sheet below)
- Learning the names of different flowering plants and trees.
- Identifying the different parts of a plant.
- Recognising the change in seasons – How do we know it is Autumn? (hours of daylight, seasonal changes, etc.,)
- Bug hunting and recording.
- Design Technology - Make a cake and practise measuring all the ingredients. Practise measuring in different ways (length, weight, volume, etc.,
Computing - Uses of technology survey (download below)
Art - design and make a card for family and friends